[ExI] More on Neutrinos

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 07:55:31 UTC 2011

2011/10/1 spike wrote:
<snip>
> The imaginary mass notion comes up in gravitational derivations as well.
> I recall from a long time ago trying to figure out the shape of the event horizon if you have two black holes
> of ten solar masses each, co-orbiting at 1 AU.  Now imagine a particle coming in from far away along a line
> about which the two black holes co-orbit.  I vaguely recall some interesting consequences of that thought
> experiment.  I need to fish it out of my green notebooks.  It’s something like you can use emission of
> imaginary mass particles to balance the energy… oy, it has been so long.

News just in............

<http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.6562>

New Constraints on Neutrino Velocities
Authors: Andrew G. Cohen, Sheldon L. Glashow
(Submitted on 29 Sep 2011)

    Abstract: The OPERA collaboration has claimed that muon neutrinos
with mean energy of 17.5 GeV travel 730 km from CERN to the Gran Sasso
at a speed exceeding that of light by about 7.5 km/s or 25 ppm.
However, we show that such superluminal neutrinos would lose energy
rapidly via the bremsstrahlung of electron-positron pairs
($\nu\rightarrow \nu+e^-+e^+$). For the claimed superluminal neutrino
velocity and at the stated mean neutrino energy, we find that most of
the neutrinos would have suffered several pair emissions en route,
causing the beam to be depleted of higher energy neutrinos. Thus we
refute the superluminal interpretation of the OPERA result.
Furthermore, we appeal to Super-Kamiokande and IceCube data to
establish strong new limits on the superluminal propagation of
high-energy neutrinos.