[ExI] More on Neutrinos

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 08:05:51 UTC 2011

________________________________
From: spike <spike66 at att.net>
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] More on Neutrinos

>From:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of john clark
>Subject: Re: [ExI] More on Neutrinos
>
>On Fri, 9/30/11, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>

>>>…"To compare neutrinos to electrons and protons assumes they have mass.  If they do not have mass, then they must be going exactly at c.  If they do have mass, they must be going slower.  Otherwise, our understanding of physics is all wrong."
>>…A neutrino must have mass but not necessarily real mass… so if a neutrino is moving faster than light and has real energy it must have an imaginary mass;and thus the faster it goes the less energy it has…
>Ja, I have done that derivation, but the whole imaginary mass thing just gives me the heebies.  I am struggling to not be such a physics church lady however, keeping an open mind.

As cool as this discovery it is not the first example of either imaginary mass or FTL. Both phenomena have been observed in quantum-tunneling by electrons and photons. For example laser photons have been recorded leaving negative refractive-index material lens before they entered them on them on the oppsite side. I wonder if the neutrinos aren't somehow taking a short-cut through space-time. It boggles the mind that they randomly swith flavors by distance travelled with 3 different masses. If mass-kinetic energy is conserved, then that means that the neutrino must nearly instaneously change speed numerous times through-out its journey from CERN to OPERA. That's crazy, especially if it's FTL the whole way!

Stuart LaForge

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things bought and sold are legislators." - P. J. O'Rourke