[ExI] Slow thinking

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 09:49:57 UTC 2011

On 1 October 2011 01:04, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> And the point of this 10^15 larger brain that thinks no faster than a
> human would be?

If M-brains are ultimately... brains, what else is new?

Our tech is already going from (relatively) low-latency, high-frequency,
broad-bandwith, closely knit systems to systems much more similar to
biological nervous systems, that is (relatively) low-frequency,
high-latency, narrow-bandwith systems but with increasing parallelism and
redundancy and architectural complexity.

Since I still do not have my 10Ghz processor under my desk extrapolated in
the nineties, I suspect this to be a generalised trend, but at the other
extreme one should consider that the most powerful "computer" today in use
is probably Folding at Home, where processes easily take weeks to speak with
one another.

I would say that if we also end up switching from silicon to... carbon (as
in biochips, microtubules, etc.), this is really wet transhumanism coming
back with a revenge. :-)

--
Stefano Vaj