[ExI] Slow thinking

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 3 11:56:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:12:23PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I have stayed out of this discussion of latency in an MBrain, but do keep in
> mind there are a bunch of variations on the MBrain theme which complicate
> the question of latency vs node size.  For instance, we can have an MBrain
> with SBrains orbiting within: an SBrain is a cluster of a few thousand, a
> few million or a few billion nodes which co-orbit a common center of mass,
> while that common center of mass orbits the star.  This creates something
> analogous to a human city or population center, where local latency is very
> low.

The relativistic latency is a red herring. Biology is limited to 120 m/s
signal propagation velocity, yet it has no issues occupying an entire planet
(or infinite amount space, if given enough time to expand into it).

In postbiology, the fastest you'll get when the speed of light in vacuum
is like speed of sound to you right now -- at much smaller geometries,
of course.