[ExI] The twists & turns of politics & idealism (was: The End of the Future)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 10 09:44:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 11:00:18PM +0100, BillK wrote:

> But I get the impression that most of the protesters have no job, no
> money, are surviving on food stamps and have little left to lose.
> Regardless of who gets elected, if the situation continues to get
> worse, the protests will grow until something snaps.

There's no way to predict what's going to happen. It could disappear
again, it could turn into an armed uprising, everything's possible.

The handling (both on part of police and expecially on part of the
criticized top 1% e.g.
http://www.jwz.org/blog/2011/09/wall-street-mocks-protesters-by-drinking-champagne/
) has been the opposite of anti-escalatory. "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"?
Maybe Rousseau's version of it. Bon appetit.