[ExI] Scientific Consensus Continues to Extend its Lead Amongst Competing Theories of Consciousness.

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sat Oct 15 20:42:09 UTC 2011

Press Release:

Scientific Consensus Continues to Extend its Dramatic Lead Amongst
Competing Theories of Consciousness.

We've been continuing a sometimes slow and laborious survey of the
experts process for several years now. We've been attending conferences,
finding and interviewing experts in this field so that we might
'canonize' their views to measure and build as much consensus as
possible around the best theories as part of the Consciousness Survey
Project.  The current body of "peer reviewed" work, and other surveys,
seems to do nothing but confirm everyone's pervasive beliefs that there
is no expert consensus in this field whatsoever.  As seems to be common
knowledge everyone regularly mocks the field and its complete lack of
any significant results as mere "philosophies of men". However, the
consensus building, amplification of the wisdom of the crowd open survey
system at Canonizer.com, despite not yet receiving any funding -  being
researched and developed completely by volunteer crowd sourced work,
might be about to falsify this pervasive belief that consciousness is so
"hard" and that it is only almost approachable via a very few super
brains.  The dramatic early consensus emerging and extending its lead
seems to be indicating there may already be a significant amount of
agreement on a great many fairly simple things, in this theoretical
field of science, after all.

The supporters of this emerging consensus camp recently unanimously
agreed to name it "Representational Qualia Theory".  (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6 ).  For the last 6 months, they have
been collaboratively developing and negotiating a new version of the
camp statement concisely describing what most of the experts appear to
already agree on.  It's not easy getting this much consensus from this
many diverse experts.  Such has never been achieved in the past.  But it
now appears possible if you have the right techniques, such as the
ability to push lesser important disagreeable ideas out of the way, into
sub camps, instead of exclusively focusing only on them. This new super
camp statement, after months of negotiation, finally just recently made
it through the unanimous canonization review process. In addition to
answering the question of where redness is located (It is not a property
of the strawberry, but of our knowledge of it) it includes the
description of the *"Quale Interpretation Problem"* which is a
mechanical description of why ineffable properties are blind to
traditional cause and effect observation.  It also includes predictions
of various possible ways scientists will be able to get around this
problem to "eff" these ineffable properties. (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/102)  Doing so, as predicted, would
finally resolve the many long standing issues such as "the problem of
other minds"', "what it is like to be a bat", possibly even falsifying
"Idealism", "Solipsism", "Skepticism", for many and so on.

The highest top super camp in the main survey topic addresses whether or
not consciousness is approachable via science. So far, about 29 of the
35 participants are in this super camp with only a few brave souls
willing to put their reputation on the line by standing up and
supporting competing camps such as: "Consciousness is of Divine Origin
and Unfathomable Apart from God".

The emerging "Representational Qualia Theory" camp is at the next level
down, surprisingly with almost as much consensus.  When we first started
this survey, we thought there would be many significant competitors to
this camp such as simple "Direct Perception", "Naive Computational
Functionalism" (very different than the qualophile Computational
Functionalism Camp http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/9), "we don't have
qualia, it just seems like we do", "idealism", "you can't eff the
ineffable" and so on. At least, that is what the Wikipedia article on
qualia and other sources (falsely?) leads one to believe.  The initial
motivation of this project was to get a concise and quantitative handle
on any possible competing camps.  We were also hoping for up to date,
concise descriptions of the best theories with real time quantitative
measures of how well accepted each was that nobody could deny, no matter
how much they wanted to, or how much they used the noisy and popular
publications to argue otherwise.  Despite our continued best efforts to
recruit experts to support any such competing camps, and make the survey
more comprehensive, it is surprising how it seems that so far nobody is
willing to stand up and make any effort to support any of them at
anywhere near the rate, compared to the many emerging experts which are
already so willing to support this new "Representational Qualia Theory".

According to this emerging consensus camp there is significant consensus
about WHERE redness and all the other phenomenal properties
consciousness is composed of are located - the final result of the
perception process. The only remaining yet to be falsified issue, at
least for the experts appears to be the WHATs and HOWs of redness. At
the sub camp levels below this consensus camp, some dramatic theories
are forming about these WHATs and HOWs. The best of them are making
obviously falsifiable predictions about just what science is about to
discover and how it will validate each theory to the falsification of
all competitors.

The clear consensus continues at the next sub level with the Mind-Brain
Identity theory camp leading against some finally significantly
supported competitors such as Higher-dimension Theories (including the
Smythies-Carr Hypothosis) and Panexperientialism.

At the next level down the current consensus is far less clear and far
more dramatic. The early and still holding on to its lead camp is the
one led by David Chalmers, or "Functional Property Dualism". Its
principle doctrine is Chalmers' "Invariance Principle" which holds that
the same quale can "arise" in some "hard" way from any equivalent
functional isomorph, from silicon to neurons, or anything that can do
Turing computation. This theory is basically falsifiably predicting you
will be able to reliably know when you are observing redness when you
observe the right functionality.

But a rapidly gaining camp appears to be on the verge of overtaking this
consensus camp at this sub level. This is the "Material Property
Dualism" camp which basically predicts that redness is simply a property
of some material in the brain. It predicts that without this right stuff
which has these phenomenal properties, you won't have redness. And if
you observe the right stuff, in the right neural correlate state, you
will be able to reliably know, in an effing way, what the person is
experiencing.

This emerging camp further breaks down into the newest to be canonized
and obviously very popular sub "Orchestrated Object Reduction" camp lead
by Stuart Hameroff and Roger Penrose. The lesser competitor is "Macro
Property Dualism" which predicts phenomenal properties can just as
easily be a property of any classical non quantum object, possibly some
kind of standing wave of neural firing, even possibly a set of classical
bouncing 'billiard balls', and that no quantum weirdness or any magic is
required to discover or eff the ineffable. All that is required is
proper communication, and thinking about it in the right way, to know
what where and how to look/test for it.

Of course, we continue to seek to make the survey more comprehensive in
this crowd sourced open survey wiki way. Whether you are an expert (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/53/11 ) or not, we seek to measure and
compare it all. Even high school students have been making significant
contributions to this amplification of the wisdom of the crowd process.
Perhaps there is a much better way to organize this camp structure? If
so, it can all be accommodated, according to the will of the scientific
consensus. So if you feel there is a justified theory that could turn
out to be the one validated by science, please help us get such
'canonized' for the benefit of everyone. There are volunteers ready to
help integrate, or canonize your ideas into what has already been built.
Help us sooner get to what could turn out to be the greatest scientific
achievement of all time: The demonstrable discovery and agreement of
what, where, and how the conscious mind is.

As always, our goal is to rigorously capture and measure, in real time,
when the demonstrable science validates the one theory and falsifies all
others. When this revolution does take place, we hope to be able to see
it very definitively and undeniably, as the experts start to abandon the
finally falsified camps. Just out of the gate, it appears that at least
at some level, this could have already started, likely in a more
dramatic way than when we finally all followed Galileo's lead and
switched from a geocentric solar system view.  We hope to measure and
speed up this process.