[ExI] beauty queens offer opinions on math

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 19 00:50:11 UTC 2011

Spike wrote:
>...But occasionally a classmate would know I sucked at some particular
engineering or math skill, at which time one could lose status as an actual
geek, and would then be expected to dress fashionably.  Hey, it's the law.
So if one walked into a room full of actual geeks dressed in geek attire
(such as a calculator on the belt, horn-rim glasses and a pocket protector)
the alpha geek might look at one's costume and comment: You are lying!

>...The alpha geek at my college was fortunately a very kindly soul, who
encouraged others, and reminded me of a young Professor Farnsworth from
Futurama.  I was told while still in school that he was seriously
considering a position with the NSA as a codemaker and breaker.  ...John
Grigg

At Lockheeed one of the top Alpha Geeks is the guy who invented the THAAD
missile.  Heavyweight smart, as Johnny Grigg would say.  More than half the
time, he used to come to work dressed in white shirt, white pants, white
belt, no socks, white shoes and yellow tinted prescription sunglasses, which
he wore always, even indoors.  No one else dared to do that.  If anyone else
showed up at worked dressed head to foot in white, he would be considered
arrogant and presumptuous, claiming to be equal to Dr. Bill.

{8^D