[ExI] Is Transhumanism Coercive?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Oct 21 08:42:45 UTC 2011

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 04:37:16PM -0400, Joseph Bloch wrote:
>

>> I'm more than a little worried about this causal bandying about of
>> "expert transhumanists" as a phrase. It seems to carry with it the
>> implication that those of us without PhD's should just hush up and let
>>

> Haven't seen any PhDs in transhumanism.

Maybe not *in* transhumanism, but I recently met a student working on a
PhD on transhumanism. And she contacted me because she felt I was an
"expert" transhumanist :-)

I do think we can and should have a connoisseurship of transhumanism.
While each of us individually cannot do or argue all the fields
encompassed by our topic, we can learn to recognize signs of quality
thinking. None of us are experts on everything, but we can learn to
recognize who is good at what kind of questions.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute