[ExI] Is Transhumanism Coercive?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 10:56:03 UTC 2011

2011/10/21 <natasha at natasha.cc>

> Quoting Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> > Moreover, as already said, I have to meet yet a possible "naive
> > transhumanist", or anybody at all for that matter, who actually proposes,
> > say, to make life extension compulsory; so I do not not really see the
> need
> > to distinguish ourselves from such an entirely imaginary bioluddite
> > strawman.
>
> I'm met some naive transhumanists :-)

So did I, but... advocating *compulsory* life extension?!

This is the weirdest think I have ever heard, and even though I admit that
they could exist in principle, I have simply never met one, be it just in
writing.

In fact, 98% of transhumanists I know are even in favour of euthanasia, or
squarely of freedom of suicide.

And even though I know that many of us are simply "immortalists" in the
literal sense, what I personally find unbearable and worth fighting against
is not death per se, is the restriction to my freedom to decide whether to
live or die, and when, imposed by our current lifespan.

> But perhaps those who disagree can point me to a source, any source,
> > expressing such a weird position. In that case, yes, we should have to
> > disagree with it.
>
> I'll do this off list.

Ah, OK, thank you.

--