[ExI] ai application, was: RE: suv hipsters

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Oct 22 15:54:59 UTC 2011

>. On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Subject: Re: [ExI] suv hipsters

Looks like a Jeep Cherokee, to me. -Dave

http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/2001_cherokee_history.jpg

It has been noted here that artificial intelligence seems to be a moving
target.  Every time we figure out how to code something, it is no longer
artificial intelligence.  So here's an interesting case.  Imagine that the
task at hand is to figure out a way for a computer to identify the make and
model of a Detroit using a grainy digital image, as might be produced by a
cheapy security camera:

One approach I thought of is to look at the linear features, such as the
high contrast roof posts.  Then I think I could (Myself!  A non-software
hipster!) write a script that takes horizontal lines of pixels and figures
out the equations to back out the four angles shown above.  That should be a
unique signature for each design.  If I get clever with it, I might be able
to figure out a way to take the six ratios of the angles, in which case we
could compensate for the foreshortening effect when a Detroit is
photographed at an angle, as in Dave's link above.  Or, use the ratio of
major diameter to minor diameter of the rear rim to calculate the angle of
view, and compensate that back out.

That would be cool, but not AI.  Now if we can figure out how to do that, we
might be able to create the database to train the software using digital
images of Detroits found on the internet.  If that software learns how to
identify a Detroit using only our algorithm and photos from the internet,
that would be sorta how you and I learn how to identify Detroits.  That
would be artificial intelligence, ja?

Cool!

Then we get only a few volunteer crimefighters to run the algorithm and set
up a digital imager on their mailboxes, let them run constantly, and we can
bag the perps by the time they get finished thinking about a crime.  Lives
can be saved.  Property saved.  Taxes saved, because we need way fewer cops.
Prison space saved, because perps realize it is hopeless as hell, with
mechanical eyes everywhere.  They go into some other line of business.