[ExI] Oxford

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 12:25:24 UTC 2011

I’ve moved to Oxford
by Eric Drexler on 22 October 2011
<http://metamodern.com/2011/10/22/i%E2%80%99ve-moved-to-oxford/>

Rosa and I now work at Oxford’s Martin School in the new Programme on
the Impacts of Future Technology. (My Oxford Martin School bio here;
Rosa’s here.) We plan to be at Oxford while I finish work on my new
book, Radical Abundance, to be published by PublicAffairs.

On November 10th I will deliver the inaugural lecture for the
Programme, “Exploring a timeless landscape: Physical law and the
future of nanotechnology”.

About the talk
    Subject: What physics tells us about the potential of advanced
nanotechnologies, and why this points to an unexpected future.

    A methodology grounded in physics and engineering can answer a
limited yet illuminating range of questions about the potential of
physical technology. This line of inquiry leads to a crucial question:
What can physics tell us about the potential of advanced
nanotechnologies? Well-established physical principles show that this
potential embraces productive nanotechnologies that have the potential
to transform the material basis of civilization. This prospect calls
for re-evaluating both research opportunities and broader choices with
consequences for the human future.

If you are in the area and want to schedule an appointment, please
contact Rosa at GeographicEngine dot com.

This about a quarter of a mile (as the crow flies) from Anders' lair in Oxford.

BillK