[ExI] Speaking of "The Great Stagnation"...

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 17:18:37 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote about Tyler Cowen's remarks:

> What’s more,
science is losing its luster among the general
> public for a variety of
reasons, among them the growing
> gap in income levels between scientists
and those in other,
> more lucrative fields such as finance.

When I was undergraduate "80-84" we had about 30%
of our students who had moved from the business school to
physics, about 30% from engineering to physics, and about
20% from mathematics to physics.  Only a few of us started
in physics.  The few exceptional physicists I have met on
line in the newer generation have gone from physics to finance
or physics research teaching at small one-man-show colleges
where they could control their work.  There are real issues
going on.

Dennis May