[ExI] It might be, was Is Transhumanism Coercive?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:24:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM,  Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Keith Henson wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:00 AM,  Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>> wrote:
>>

>>> We cannot assume nature or the parents have (or are able to)
>>> provide these resources.
>>>

>> No, but it's not hard to imagine an infectious agent that would build
>> a neural interface into every person it infects (perhaps everyone)
>> which would give them access to the totality of information available
>> to humans
>>

> Or a GPS transponder/ID tag, making sure nobody was ever lost. Or an
> implanted, infectious e-meter for instant engram detection. (sorry)

We need an app for that!

> The technological feasibility of something doesn't mean it is a good
> idea.

I didn't mean to even *imply* it was a good idea, just that it was not
hard to imagine.

Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote.

> On 25 October 2011 22:53, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>> However, there is a great deal of difference between having lots of
>> smartphones because they are so darn nifty and a rule that everybody must
>> carry one.
>
> I think that difference between legal rules and social norms are, for
> the best and for the worst,  overestimated. The latter can be as
> "coercive" as the second. The former may be at the end of the day less
> hypocritical and more open to critique.

Well said.

I suspect that most of us feel akin to being naked in public when
realize we have left our cell phone at home.

>From what I have seen, most of the homeless have cell phones (ghod
knows where they charge them).

Keith