[ExI] BBC Faster Than The Speed Of Light

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 26 10:06:51 UTC 2011

There is an interesting gap between 'what the science says' and what an
interested layperson today can learn. The problems are: 1) a lot of
cutting edge science is very hard to explain since it is so far from the
scales where our intuitions and analogies make sense, 2) an awful lot of
science is indeed worse than you think (c.f. Ioannidis et al., or apply
the cognitive bias literature to science), 3) there is so many papers
and studies out there that it is very hard for anyone to get a picture
of what the real state is.

These problems have different weight in different domains. Plenty of
physics and math is so far out that there is little hope to explain it
even to an interested listener ("Fuckin' spin, how does it work?"), but
at least the studied phenomena are fairly 'clean'. Not so in medicine
and the social sciences, where the complex systems we investigate are
highly individual and generalize badly - here 2 and 3 dominate.
Sometimes you get specific biases, like methodology cults or inability
to understand statistics in some subcommunities.

It is not that the science has become more uncertain. It is that we have
more of it and recognize its uncertainty better. But that doesn't calm
anybody.

Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> All those experiments which confirms the General Relativity - how
> biased are they? What are procedures? Are they blind enough? Anybody
> even cares?
Seems to be a little cottage industry coming up with weird alternatives
to GR and then disproving them. But things like gravitational lensing,
gravitational time dilation and frame dragging make GR decently solid.
Procedures are fairly clearly described, one can check the math, and
increasingly people have access to tools to do amateur checks - I read a
while about a guy who was testing GR himself using his own atomic clock.

> I still remember the days, when the superluminal galaxies on a way out
> of here were thought impossible. Now, they are on a daily menu at the
> Hubble restaurant. And nobody gives a dam about. Somehow it is okay
> with GR, since that is no real motion, only the space is inflating ...
> inflationary.

Huh? They are typically relegated to the page in the astrophysics
textbook where they explain how you get the appearance of superluminal
motion. Are there anybody serious out there who honestly think they are
superluminal?

And the "superluminal" aspects of spacetime expansion are not
problematic in GR. Just check the math.

> Time to reconsider everything from the MM experiment on. This time
> really hard.

The fun thing is that these days the MM experiment ought to be within
the capacity of amateurs. Please do it.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute