[ExI] Halloween costumes

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 26 14:04:01 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] Halloween costumes

Spike wrote:

>>.An astronaut is not a future themed character, it's retro themed. .

>.I envision things heating up again in a big way when China builds a
permanent base on the Moon (circa 2020-2025) and looks at putting taikonauts
on Mars.  If America still has financial muscle left, we will surely be
competing with them as they carry out these ventures.  And then Spike, you
will not have to repeatedly say that to be an astronaut is retro!  : )
.John

Ja, it might work out that way, but for that to happen, we need to also
envision an energy transition that isn't clear to me.  Oil is great stuff,
but the supply is not infinite.  There is oil left in the ground, but over
time the available reserves get less attractive: heavier and more sour
crudes come into play, which make it more expensive to refine.  That will be
a major factor shaping our future.  As much as we talk about energy
resources online here and at the Oil Drum and other places, it is hard to
find convincing strategies.

Regarding the US involvement in future space ventures, we need to first deal
with our government having borrowed our retirement fund and spent it all
with no convincing way to pay it back.  What do we do about that?

A third concern is the US transition from manufacturing to a financial
services economy.  What happens if the US becomes the new Nigeria?  When you
get any email which contains the terms "Sir" and "Nigeria" you already know
it is a scam, ja?  Easy to filter those, because Nigeria has exactly nothing
to legitimately sell you.  Their only exports (other than oil, which you
personally are not buying) are reams and reams of absurd spam emails urging
you to buy into this or that, or that you have such a good reputation they
want to give 3,600,000.00 US dollars from some late bankers' estate.  You
already know anything with Nigeria involved in any way is a scam.  Nigeria
can never establish a legitimate financial service, as long as you and I
live.  What happens if the US becomes the new Nigeria?  We will not be going
into space then.