[ExI] Pesky Neutrinos

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 31 16:31:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 10/31/11, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
"I propose H1 as follows:
The low collision cross-section of neutrinos and the probabilistic nature of their flavor-oscillation phenomenon conspire to render neutrinos unable to carry classical information at FTL velocities."
The low collision cross-section of neutrinos problem can be overcome simply by making the neutrino beam more intense; as for the flavor oscillations, we already have ways of detecting all three flavors. There has been some speculation that there might be a fourth flavor called the "Sterile Neutrino" that is even harder to detect than regular neutrinos, but if that is the explanation I don't see how the CERN people would have seen their very odd faster than light signal. I think either there is an error in the experiment or you really can send signals faster than light; how you could have faster than light signals and still avoid paradoxes I'm not sure, but it would probably involve some aspect of Many Worlds theory. And if there is an error in the experiment I think it will be something subtle, it's hard to believe that the big brains at CERN don't know how to operate a GPS machine. The new experiment at CERN specifically designed to measure the
 neutrino's speed ends its run this Sunday, we may know the truth soon after that.

  John K Clark