[ExI] deathless meat

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:07:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> The thing that I really wanted to say about this is that the texture
> and color of this stuff really isn't the main thing for getting it on
> the market. People didn't like margarine at first because you had to
> mix in your own color. The farmers wouldn't let them sell it already
> yellow. And the American cheese board wanted processed cheese (now
> called ironically American Cheese) to be called "embalmed cheese"
> initially. People eat kelp all the time without even knowing it. The
> real problems will be doing whatever the heck they are doing at scale.
> Do it at scale and you'll first get some of the vegans and
> vegetarians... make it cheap and you'll get the poor... make it good
> and you'll get everyone! But that's the last step!

Hear, hear.  I've sent an email to the prof in charge of the process asking
if he's run the numbers to see what the current $/kg is.  That can be a
numerical measure of how close to reality/close to market this tech is.
By comparison, meat currently retails for about $5-10/kg (more for choice
cuts, but we're competing with the low quality meats here).  So, get it
within a factor of 10 of that and you can start getting commercial funding
to scale up production and reduce costs the rest of the way.  (Sadly,
commercial effectiveness seems to be completely ignored even after the
initial development of the tech.)