[ExI] Alcor dumping "grandfathering"?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 2 09:48:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 06:31:55PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> > I hope that is a joke.  It seems to border on hyper-sensitive to me.
> [snip]
> > Yes, some of the world is indeed that anal.  Why does that mean we should be?
>
> I'm not suggesting that I was disturbed by those words.  There have
> been other threads about Alcor advising careful word choice (or
> discussion topics) because the archives are public, indexed &
> discoverable by those outside "our group."

I typically abstain from critizing organisations, but it's pretty
obvious that Alcor, which I used to recommend, is no longer worth
the membership money. I really hoped that Max (whom I personally
respect and consider a friend) would be the white knight in
shining armor to slay the dysfunctionality dragon but it apparently
won't be on his watch. Arguably, Alcor is sufficiently dysfunctional
that it can't be salvaged from within, and we'll have an alternative
organisation eventually ready to take its place (unlikely, but in
theory possible).

You don't have to agree; just take this as my assessment at this point.
And, no, I will not descend into specifics in public.

Should Max or his successors manage the wondrous deed I will revise it,
of course.