[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Florent Berthet florent.berthet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:07:44 UTC 2011

I used to think that continuity of consciousness was obviously important for
uploading. My reasoning was "if I create a copy of myself, and if I die in
the process, that is as if I had created a clone of myself that would be
able to live in exchange for my life. But I don't want my clone to survive,
I want ME to survive."

So for me, a Star Trek teleporter that disassemble atoms and reassemble them
in an other place was out of the question, because it would kill the "real"
me.

Then I thought "but when I go to bed, I wake up in the morning made of a
slightly different pattern of atoms (dreams have formed new memories, for
example). Nevertheless, I feel like I'm "the same" person. But what if I had
been scanned during my sleep, destroyed and instantly recreated in my bed? I
wouldn't even know it. This wouldn't make a difference. So, what I am afraid
of? And if there is no difference, do we "die" each night, waking up as a
whole new person? Should I be afraid of fallins asleep?

So I was like "well, my consciousness blacks out for several hours every
night, but there's still this background activity that keeps the continuity
on... so I'm the same person..." but things started to become not as sharp
and obvious, something was bothering me.

I thought: is continuity of consciousness even relevant? I mean, imagine a
guy in a coma who goes brain dead for a few moments. If we were to bring him
back to life, nobody would say "ha! He died! So he's not the same person
now!". So, damn, continuity of consciousness is not relevant...

The only things that could matter now are the actual atoms that compose the
brain and body of the guy. So, imagine that during that brief time of brain
inactivity, we could change one carbon atom of his brain and replace it with
another carbon atom. That wouldn't change a thing, atoms are the same, we
take one out and we put another back. Imagine that instead of one atom, we
replace a bunch of atoms, well, same thing, nothing has changed. Hell,
imagine we replace the whole brain by this process, it's still the same
thing! Atoms are the same, the pattern is the same. Physically, nothing has
changed.

Another example: if we could instantly move all your atoms 1 cm to le left,
I'm sure you would say you would end up the same person. Now if it wasn't
instantaneous but if you were out of this world for a millisecond during the
process, there's no reason you would object, what would have changed? What
about out for one second? One year?

That's when I realized that this whole "original" and "copy" thing was an
illusion. There is no "real" me, there is just a pattern that creates the
experience of me, a pattern that doesn't "belong" to me but just exists
because atoms have arranged themselves in this particular way. This
experience and consciousness is the same for every identical pattern,
regardless of how these patterns evolved and where they come from. There is
no "true" one, physics don't work that way. We must understand that there's
nothing special about us.

As counter-intuitive as it is, there is nothing to be afraid of concerning
destructive uploading, the pattern that makes your consciousness is the only
thing that matters. Gradually transferring a mind is no different that
destroying it a recreating it. Nobody else would make the difference and
neither would you, because there isn't any.