[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 13:08:03 UTC 2011

2011/9/3 Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>

> The biological pattern, in the same sense as you have the "same" body you
> were born with even though you have replaced just about every atom within
> it
> at least once since birth.

Yes, I am inclined to agree with you, but let me once more stress that
"survival" is really an ethological, not a philosophical, issue.

So, it cannot be dismissed out of hand the fact that when confronted with
the prospective of having your brains sliced, your genes whisper "no, no",
no matter how defective the rationalisation of such feelings might be.

On the other hand, I understand that by "non-destructive uploading" some
means "creation of an emulation which is going to run alongside with the
'original'".

This remains of course an interesting experiment, not to mention a good
metaphor for reproduction - which is an instinct as well, or even better,
rooted than survival - but of course it defeats the idea of uploading as a
metaphor for survival, since from the first instant the remaining original
becomes, or remains, a distinct centre of Darwinian interests from its
upload, which is in principle no more consoled by the continuing operation
of that upload than we currently are by the survival of our genetic
offspring or of our works, country, business, school of thought, etc.

--
Stefano Vaj