[ExI] deathless meat

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 15:24:29 UTC 2011

2011/9/3 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/2 Tim Halterman <timhalterman at gmail.com>
>> Has anyone seen anything regarding the feeding of cells with material from
>> non-living entities?
>
> As in autotrophy?!!
> And, btw, I am confused about what a "non-living entity" might be.

"Entity" is confusing here.  I think Tim meant more like autotrophy: how
to culture and feed the meat tissues using only nutrients not created by
or extracted from another living thing.  (So, "entity" would include a bare
rock asteroid, which that term does not normally include.)

A useful context would be to consider a space colony - free floating, or
perhaps lunar.  (Martian introduces some variables...)  It's got an input
flow of raw materials, primarily from asteroid/lunar mining.  How does
it convert this into meat in the most efficient way, so as to provide
maximum nutrition for its inhabitants with minimum loss?

Thing is, it's probably okay if that takes multiple steps.  And, given the
quantity of energy and material flow that can be obtained, some degree
of inefficiency can be tolerated at first, before there are decades of
refinement on this technology.