[ExI] destructive uploading

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 19:50:31 UTC 2011

"G. Livick" <glivick at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I suppose that makes sense.  An uploaded brain is "virtual," so why not
> a body?  It could be a generic body at that, avoiding the expense of
> charting the location and physiological state of every cell in the
> host's body, the contents and state of the intracellular matrix, the
> class, type and state of all the supporting bacteria, etc.

Indeedy.

> Sounds like resurrection in a way.  Will I be able to run and
> everything?  I'm imagining right now that I'm jogging down a beautiful
> footpath through a towering kelp bed....  There's a mermaid!  It's just
> my luck I forgot to imagine not needing to breathe.

Well, as much as uploading can be regarded as resurrection, I suppose it is.

Of course, you'd be able to run, fly, teleport, jump, displace, simply be somewhere... whatever you like (and whatever the software supports).

Er.. you don't need to breathe!  You're an upload, remember?  You'd have to build in a requirement to 'breathe' in the virtuality before swimming with mermaids presented a breathing problem.  Your world consists of software, so there'd be no problem having a set of controls to specify which biological (and other) parameters to emulate.  You could specify that you have to 'breathe', have a pulse, etc., etc. You could specify that you have a sense of breathing, regardless of your environment, or whatever.

> Did George Carlin ever get wind of this scheme?
Not that I'm aware of, although I'm sure he would have had great fun with the concept.

> Is there somewhere we
> can sign up for uploading?

Not yet.

> Is George already there?

No. Sadly, George is nowhere.

> What kind of
> operating systems will support us?

Who knows?

> I like JAVA myself so I can
> virtually exist anywhere that has a runtime, plus I can use it to stay
> alert.

LOL.
Just remember that Java is owned.  I'd probably prefer Ruby, or more likely, there will need to be some as-yet-uninvented OS for the kind of hardware and architecture needed to implement uploading.

Ben Zaiboc