[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:26:04 UTC 2011

2011/9/5 Florent Berthet <florent.berthet at gmail.com>

> So, when you say "I want to survive through uploading", you are really
> saying "I want the phenomenon of my consciousness to be able to run again on
> another substrate". So it's really an altruistic act: you are not doing this
> for you, but for a phenomenon that will feel like you. When you understand
> that, your sense of self vanishes, and being egoistic doesn't even makes
> sense anymore because you won't even profit from what you do: what you do
> will benefit to a future being that will be similar to you but will be a
> different physical experience.

Of course, the concept of "altruism" and "egotism" break down here. If I am
taking steps to slow down aging, somebody will benefit from it that in seven
years will apparently not contain one single atom that is currently included
in my physical body.

Our survival instinct however does not care, since it is shaped by the
different success ratio of our genes.

The same genes, however, make "sweet" for us a number of forms of
"individual survival" (eg, past reproductive age *or* through an upload)
which may not have any direct influence on their success after all, simply
because the contrary was not selected against.

--
Stefano Vaj