[ExI] Destructive uploading.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:58:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Bill, that may be the case, but the psyche of the American as an
> individual may be hard to overcome by those of my generation and
> before. Perhaps the youngsters will be more willing to participate in
> the hive mind. After all, they are already sharing things on Facebook
> that would have mortified me.

'psyche of the American as an individual' sounds terribly quaint in
the context of the discussion. I'd call that an example of the Star
Trek fallacy.  Loads of advanced technology, but still humans having
punch-ups with aliens.  When these technologies hit humanity, what
comes after won't be humanity as we know it.

> How do you keep your individuality if you're in a hive mind? How can
> you even say that you continue to exist, except as some kind of
> subroutine... I'm certainly not ready at this point to sign up for the
> hive mind, unless it's a hive consisting of copies of my own mind...
> then I'm willing to go for it, I think.

Who knows?  But I suspect it will be business as usual for everyone.
20 years ago nobody thought that it would become essential that
everyone would have to carry a little communicator and be in constant
contact with everyone else.

It won't be life as it is now, but everyone will be doing it, so it
will be very lonely outside.

BillK