[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:59:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> So my assertion is that only an emulation of MY brain can be remerged
> into my brain, at least easily. Do you understand my point? And this
> may be something that only happens for a brief period of time before
> we fully understand the brain enough to translate changes in my brain
> to changes in yours... but that seems many orders of magnitude more
> complex.

I had a similar thought today:  Suppose there is some unique character
to the computing substrate, will we find a measure of preference and
affordability?  Sure we might love to be running at high clock rates
on CPU, but will that life be the uniquely squishy experience of human
wetware?  Suppose we grow so bored with the day to day that we run
orders of magnitude slower on, for example, a contraption powered by
tides (one cycle per ebb/flow on a beach).  Is it something you'd be
willing to try just for kicks? (of course you'll keep your existing
processes as they are)

I wonder if it would be like the difference between sitting in a chair
made of plastic vs. wood or covered in cloth vs. leather.  In all
examples the task is merely "sitting" but with subtle variations in
texture and style.