[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:09:16 UTC 2011

On 7 September 2011 19:28, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so here's a scenario... suppose that I have my brain frozen (and
> that this is not considered murder or suicide) and sliced into thin
> segments, scanned and uploaded. Suppose further that this takes 6
> months for whatever reason. I have not then experienced perfect
> continuity, but rather more something like having been on a 6 month
> vacation.  So what I'm saying is the continuity includes continuous
> interaction with my friends and relatives, etc.

One experiences to some extent the passing of time during and after a
period of sleep, but this is not the case with a deep coma, and would
not be the case if your brain is restored to a status similar to that
of, say, March 15, 2011. Such experience is that of somebody who
simply travels in zero subjective time to a given point in the
future...

>If we continued conscious awareness when doubled, or tripled
> if the process is non-destructive, which one are we aware of, or are we
> aware in multiple places at the same time?

As long as something is doubled, two entities immediately diverge,
each perceiving retrospective continuity and individuality. In a
non-destructive uploading scenario, B would describe it as moving from
platform A to platform B, and leaving behind a copy, A as the
opposite...

> I completely disagree here. Merging a thread from an emulant back into
> a wet ware brain would require that the emulant be based upon that
> brain. Merging new neuronal connections from my emulant into your
> brain would be VERY confusing because you store your concepts in a
> different hologram within your brain than I do.

Mmhhh. Brains change with time anyway. I assume that the brain of two
twins at birth is way more similar than that of one of them will be
after thirty years to its previous stage.

> So my assertion is that only an emulation of MY brain can be remerged
> into my brain, at least easily. Do you understand my point? And this
> may be something that only happens for a brief period of time before
> we fully understand the brain enough to translate changes in my brain
> to changes in yours... but that seems many orders of magnitude more
> complex.

Possibly. And as a byproduct you might also find a sure recipe to
create Multiple Personality Disorders at will. :-)

--
Stefano Vaj