[ExI] 'Militant Atheists' (Was: Religion & transhumanism (not the usual!))

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:30:27 UTC 2011

2011/9/9 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> On Thu, 9/8/11, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> "I'm pretty bemused - if not dismayed - by all this bandying about of the term 'militant atheist' as if it actually meant something."
>
> The stage magician Penn Jillette calls himself a militant atheist, he says it means that not only does he not believe in God he doesn't believe anybody else does either. Incidentally his new book "God No" is pretty funny.

I am a little confused about the exact nuance of the word "militant"
in (contemporary? US? UK?) English.

The Italian and French equivalent are a somewhat more emphatic to
indicate an activist of a given cause (activism sounding like a more
low-level and/or trivial or slightly disparaged form of militantism).

So, would we qualifiy as "transhumanist militants" in English?
Provided of course that we actually do something more than hanging
around in mailing lists, that is? :-)

--
Stefano Vaj