[ExI] wet dreams, was openness on the internet.

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Sep 12 03:07:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Jeff Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
>
> > What may sound like totalitarian from your side, is rather innocent in my
> > eyes. At least right now (even thou, yes, I am a bit baffled by it).
>
> We have our regular lives as regular people, where we wake, work, eat,
> sleep, and enjoy the company of our lesser and greater friends.  These
> activities compose the larger part of our lives, and to the extent
> that we focus on these personal matters while dodging involvement in-
> and averting our eyes from the wars of the elites, we can enjoy our
> lives and remain largely free from the injury and suffering caused by
> sovereign ambition.

I can see your point. On the other hand, if I was you, I would appreciate
ability to express my thoughts in public without fear of being prosecuted.
On the yet another hand, delving deeper, things can show themselves a bit
more complicated. For example, censorship is not needed at all if one can
ensure that only limited subset of thoughts will appear in people's minds.
I can see a slight hint about such tendency, and not just in US. However,
I'm undecided to what extent tendency is buried inside our psyche
(thinking requires energy and time, and we tend to preserve energy and
save time).

BTW, even being treated as object of some (monetary) value has positive
sides. Nobody in his sane mind is going to waste money. When it comes to
intrusive marketing, I think mental training will become one of a
successful life's requirements. They want to push your hidden buttons,
so we need to get more conscious about it. In a long run, this should do
a lot of good to many millions of people. I think that consciousness is a
great thing (hint: cattle doesn't seem to have much of it, just impulses).

> Your name and email suggests a connection with Poland, Europe, Eastern
> Europe, and the corresponding social/political experience.  On that
> account, I'm inclined to credit you with a more mature worldview than
> that of the typical Hollywood-ized, consumer-ized, patriot-ized, and
> in general, intellectually down-sized American.

Well, I am far from calling myself mature or more mature. I have had the
questionable luck to watch fall of communism (and all changes that
followed) while being very young adult. If travels educate, I had quite a
few of them without moving anywhere at all :-). It certainly tought me
something about how far things can go if there are people willing to push
those things hard enough. I have learned, for example, about police
informers planted (wed) into families of people considered "uncertain".
Or, believe it or not, at one point in postwar Poland, almost whole
anticommunist guerilla was probably directed by secret police agents. Why
- well, if you control something, you can have it however you please.

Compared to this, yes indeed, Hollywood view of the world is rather bleak.
Also, I am a bit nerved every time I read that US edition of some book
has been cut short or altered "for the good of US readers". This sounds so
pitiful. And so ungrateful towards authors, who besides being typing
drones could also have something to say about how and what they see.

Obviously, this calls for a question, what is so good in being ignorant of
author's original vision (assuming that some of us read to learn). This
is why every thinking person should learn at least one foreign language -
not to "make money and contacts" but to learn a world from another
perspective.

Of course, one can also point that the whole culture thing is not about
learning the world. It is about making a dream about the world. If this is
the case, then obviously some people (i predict majority of us) will
slowly but inevitably sink into their dream. Because, I think, homo
sapiens is a beast that wants to live in a dream.

Observing US from far away I think I can see how a lot of Americans
happily dream(t). Too bad.

It's also a little uneasy to see this. It asks for question if I dream
too.

I guess one day the other branch of h. sapiens will simply take off, base
their actions on reality (and possibly create another culture around crave
for a truth and personal abilities to make things happen). Perhaps the
difference will lie in genetics. Or maybe they will have better
upbringing. I guess in the past the upbringing wasn't that bad - nowadays,
there is tendency to "reduce a load on students", like they are worse than
guys 100 years ago.

Upbringing! And education. Why it is so hard to do it right? Or at least
better than now? Especially that I have some suspicions it was better and
went downhill.

> But at your European remove, you may yourself fall victim to the
> "idylla" -- I suspect you meant "ideal" or "utopian" -- view of
> America.  You know, the Hollywood version:  "Give me your tired, your
> huddled masses...",  "liberty and justice for all"..., the City on the
> Hill,  "...from sea to shining sea", "...and they lived happily ever
> after", blah blah blah, etc.  That illusion is very pleasant indeed,
> but no matter how good it feels, don't embrace it to the extent that
> you abandon your connection with reality.

By "idylla" I meant, of course, "idyll". There is a lot of words in Polish
coming from Latin and I somehow assumed that in English it would spell the
same. I should have checked in a dictionary. :-).

But idylla is fine word on its own - like a mix of idyll and Godzilla.

I wanted to say, that people make up in their heads such idyllic visions
of heavens on earth. AFAIK all those heavens have their other side, the
one closer to hell. It is never to be seen from afar and it only becomes
obvious that there is the other side once you melt yourself with its
better half. Then you can feel the bad but you cannot unmelt and you are
damned forever. At least, this I would be afraid of.

About my view of US - not really utopian anymore. That was good for a
teenager, but as I learned more I realised there was no place in a world
that could qualify. On the other hand, US is still quite good for many
people - I can see, that during last 10 years, about million per year
obtained residency (so, they were making some money and payed their bills,
maybe even taxes). Despite all economic wobbles.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_immigration ]

But I don't have time to munge all the data. Therefore I cannot say if the
biggest US problem is indeed the dreaming I tried to describe above. I am
rather reluctant to care about elites, since they are made elites by
people and they can be made something else by those very same people.

About this "give me your tired masses" - sure, they were needed to keep
the pump going. Is it possible that US is/was a Ponzi scheme? Well,
maybe... but not enough data again.

Overally, I feel my Polish/European remove gives me great perspective to
see a world, at least in theory. Thanks to flows of history, I was able to
have a look behind the courtain and was conscious enough to not let go.
Future Poles would probably be as inane as anybody else, because of
westernisation. If I suffer from illusions, I hope to dispose of them,
preferably in not very distant future :-).

> America was wealthy, which like a new paint job, covered a multitude
> of sins.  Now the wealth is all but gone, and the ugly reality of the
> coarseness of American life is becoming ever more apparent.  Time to
> focus on the personal.

I think focusing on the personal is very much OK.

I am not sure how seriously you do consider a "Chinese option", but for a
moment I myself would not choose it. The main reason for this, I would be
afraid of personal security of mine and my relatives (in a long run). I
don't have a billion bucks to buy me a place in right circles (like, say,
if I was from elite and wanted to start a new life in more promising
economy). There are folks who live in China, but I suspect their well
being is thanks to combination of having desired professional skills,
waving Western passport and paying their bills in dollars or euros. Remove
one or two of those pillars and things can get worse for them. I mean,
maybe many years from now some new gov in China will call masses to "cut a
white weed" or something equally cruel. AFAIK, human life is a commodity
there, and a rather cheap one.

Of course, I may be wrong. Time will show.

> Personally, I embrace technology as the vehicle that best embodies and
> promotes the "better angels" of human nature, those dedicated to
> progress, to building, to making things "better", to cooperating.
>
> Please forgive me if I have offended you.

No, not at all. Even more, I hope you forgive me if I have offended you. I
have this tendency to deliver my version of truth, sometimes writing
faster than I think (a slow thinker, me) and it sure has some sharp edges
which can hurt anybody standing along the way. Besides, it is possible
that my Polish perspective makes me slightly angry when I see someone
loosing their free will, even intentionally.

> Best, Jeff Davis

Thanks for explanations.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola