[ExI] apple mothership

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Wed Sep 14 08:11:32 UTC 2011

2011/9/13 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> Speaking of which, atheist evolution-hipsters need something equivalent to
> a prayer or blessing, without the superstition.  I don’t know what it is, or
> how to do something like that, but I am open to suggestion from the creative
> minds here.

I agree entirely. I will also add that any "spiritual" aspect of
transhumanism needn't be dry and flavourless just to overcompensate for a
lack of superstition.

An angle Max may appreciate; I just finished reading "Supergods" by comics
writer Grant Morrison, where among other things he lays out the history of
comic book superheroes and how they increasingly sit in the societal niche
of ancient pagan gods, each representing elemental forces or ideas, but
avoiding the superstition trap by simple virtue of being obvious fictions.

So (tongue in cheek here; exploring ideas) maybe a 'prayer' to your
favourite superhero, or even better we could create a new 'pantheon' of
explicitly transhumanist characters that represent our ideals...

On 13 September 2011 23:49, *Nym* <nymphomation at gmail.com> wrote:

> How long before the conspiraloons notice that it looks just like the
> GCHQ phone-tapping centre in England..?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Communications_Headquarters

Thankfully the Mothership seems to be missing the lines that cut across the
circle in the GCHQ design. Locals in Cheltenham have a dark humour about the
fact that GCHQ would pretty much be THE priority target in a nuclear
exchange, and appears to have been designed with that in mind, looking
exactly like a "shoot here" target from above...

- A