[ExI] A Nobel laureate and climate change

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 15 15:58:50 UTC 2011

 On Thu, 9/15/11, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
"Easily refuted:"
It's incontrovertible!

  "how can you measure the average temperature of the whole earth for a whole year?"
 "I distribute a lot of temperature sensors over the Earth (including but not limited to IR cameras on a bunch of satellites, whose orbits allow them to collectively see the entire surface of the Earth), and monitor them for a year."

We haven't even done that today much less for the last 150 years.
  "Really, a trivial exercise in experiment design."

Trivial in design very expensive in execution which is why nobody has done it, and when somebody finally does do it we'll have to wait another 150 years to see how much things changed.

   "the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years"

   "He says that is "the claim" - it's not.  The claim is over a much shorter timespan than that."

He said the temperature has increased by .8 degrees centigrade over the last 150 years, take a look at this graph from the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/recenttc_triad.html

It indicates that that Dr. Ivar Giaever was right, Nobel prize winners sometimes are. Well OK, the chart only goes from 1880 to 2008, 128 years not 150, but still...

If you want a longer perspective here is the temperatures plotted over the last 10,000 years:

http://mclean.ch/climate/figures_2/Vostok_to_10Kybp.gif

I admit that neither chart is based on the huge global network of temperature sensors that you advocate but it's the best we can do.

 John K Clark