[ExI] Having money

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 23:13:49 UTC 2011

On 17 September 2011 18:15, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com> wrote:

> I have many more than 5000 books but I won't be satisfied until I have
> a working professional's library for each subject I'm interested in, and
> there are few subjects I'm not.

> Likewise, but I'm really less addicted to books than I am an information
> junkie. I'm not sure how safe it'll be for me once I have the prospect of
> drinking from the full fire hose with computer-brain linkage.

The truth is that I could quite easily "store" books (in the basement,
etc.), but as long as they are out of comfortable reach - and your are not
employing a full-time librarian, keeping and updating a catalogue thereof,
etc., as we do in my law firm - at a point you could as well not own them at
all...

In this respect, electronic versions already have an edge for occasional
consultation and prompt access.

As to cover-to-cover reading, e-ink solutions are barely acceptable, PCs,
tablets and smartphones remain very poor replacements for the paper thing.

--
Stefano Vaj