[ExI] Nukes was less expensive energy

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 23:30:31 UTC 2011

I have been interested in various energy possibilities
for over 30 years and have seen two generations
of money being wasted on solar development with
virtually nothing to show for it.  Wind and solar
both have niche location applications but I see
no possibility either will ever move beyond that
scale.  Subsidizing either only means reducing
other economic opportunities to support a losing
proposition.

Geothermal, tide, ocean currents, hydroelectric,
and most other alternatives suffer from the same
niche application problems of solar and wind.

Various carbon fuels will continue to be used
for the foreseeable future because of energy
density, portability, cost and the ready existence
of technology.

Biofuels are also a niche application - a losing
proposition in most applications done today.
Though nuclear energy could be converted to
more usable forms by cycling it through biofuels.
As much as possible input power for planting,
harvesting, and processing of biofuels coming
from nuclear sources rather than carbon fuels
and the biofuel itself.

The sheer energy density of nuclear power means
it dwarfs all other options.  Much of the time
delay for implementation of nuclear power
plants can be reduced by going to standardized
designs.

As far as big solar projects go - I see them as
being of interest in industrializing space
not moving space nuclear energy [sun] to
the Earth when there are plenty of Earth
based nuclear energy possibilities with much
less capital risk.

Dennis May