[ExI] solargate

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 17:57:28 UTC 2011

Dennis wrote:
"A few years ago [another site] we discussed the labor
required to maintain solar and wind energy [highly
dispersed systems] if they were to actually gain more
than a niche hold in the energy market.  The number
of broken necks falling off roofs for solar and the huge
maintenance overhead for wind would require an
amazing shift in labor resources and training.

"Large powerplants have maintenance issues like a
normal factory.  Solar and wind will be more like
everyone going back to the days of raising their
own food and pumping their own water.  There will
be real lifestyle changes required and labor diverted
from more productive enterprises.  Expect power
interruptions, long waits for service calls if you can't
do the work yourself and increased prices."

I think this depends on how it evolves. One can easily imagine all of the above issues as invitations to inventors and entrepreneurs to find solutions. For instance, if it's hard to fix these things, try to make them cheap and modular -- e.g., so cheap and easy to install that people replace rather than fix (you don't, I take it, fix light bulbs or socks with holes in them; you chuck them and get new ones). Or make them so durable, they rarely break down -- as is the case with stoves, refrigerators, and dishwashers.

Regards,

Dan