[ExI] Asteroidal mining was Nukes was less expensive energy

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 01:34:54 UTC 2011

Keith Henson wrote:

<What I have done on this topic is just slightly beyond the "back of
<the envelope" stage while matching the scale of the project to the
<demand for Invar for a modest 200 GW per year power sat project.
<Perhaps I am too hard on people to ask that they back up "good ideas"
<with a little physics and chemistry.

My interest has been more along the lines of longer term settlement
and building up industrialization.

You are correct about cooling being a major issue.  I like the idea
of processing on cold ice bodies like Ceres with an Ice Station
in proximity.

http://tinyurl.com/44e6tcm

See the size of cooling required if you're not using an existing ice
body for cooling.

Dennis