[ExI] How water bottles create cheap lighting in Philippines

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:21:52 UTC 2011

2011/9/21 Dennis May <dennislmay at yahoo.com>:
> That is just sad.

A meme that reproduces from 1 to 15,000 in a few months is anything
but sad. I would guess that Dennis hasn't spent a lot of time in
favellas or other shanty towns. Stuart Brand gives a 6 minute
introduction to why squatter cities are vital to the future.

http://www.ted.com/talks/stewart_brand_on_squatter_cities.html

I love these people. I have spent time with them, lots of time. They
are more productive by far than the poor in the United States, who
mainly sit around waiting for checks to be dropped from the magic
government blimp... These people are upwardly mobile, and moving
fast!!! For most of them, life in the squatter city is the very first
experience with electricity, and perhaps surprisingly television. It
opens up a whole new world of education and experience and
opportunity.

To be able to read inside during the day would be a great blessing to
these folks. My only fear is that this will lead to more indoor use of
charcoal and other cooking fuels, which is the biggest health problem
faced in squatter cities around the world...

-Kelly