[ExI] Faster than light??

scerir scerir at alice.it
Fri Sep 23 06:11:08 UTC 2011

CERN reports that in one of their massive and extremely expensive experiments called
"Opera" they found evidence that Neutrinos travel faster than light! There has been a
wacky theory for some years that Neutrinos do that but almost nobody believed it and until
now there was zero evidence of it. It's still hard for me to believe and I have a hunch it
will turn out to be a mistake, but then again this is CERN we're talking about and they're
as good as it gets. They're going to publish all the data tomorrow and hold a press
conference.
http://online.wsj.com/article/AP58b5aed0a77c45ddb163d90951b36b35.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/science-light-idUSL5E7KM4CW20110922
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPERA_experiment
John K Clark

#

Authors: _OPERA_ (http://arxiv.org/find/hep-ex/1/au:+OPERA/0/1/0/all/0/1)

Subjects: High Energy Physics - Experiment (hep-ex)

The OPERA neutrino experiment at the underground Gran Sasso Laboratory has
measured the velocity of neutrinos from the CERN CNGS beam over a baseline
of  about 730 km with much higher accuracy than previous studies conducted
with  accelerator neutrinos. The measurement is based on high-statistics data
taken by  OPERA in the years 2009, 2010 and 2011. Dedicated upgrades of the
CNGS timing  system and of the OPERA detector, as well as a high precision
geodesy campaign  for the measurement of the neutrino baseline, allowed
reaching comparable  systematic and statistical accuracies. An early arrival
time of CNGS muon  neutrinos with respect to the one computed assuming the
speed of light in vacuum  of (60.7 \pm 6.9 (stat.) \pm 7.4 (sys.)) ns was
measured. This anomaly  corresponds to a relative difference of the muon neutrino
velocity with respect  to the speed of light (v-c)/c = (2.48 \pm 0.28
(stat.) \pm 0.30 (sys.)) \times  10-5.

_http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf_
(http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf)