[ExI] Faster than light??

scerir scerir at alice.it
Fri Sep 23 13:49:26 UTC 2011

> The real issue, however, is whether info can be transferred at a FTL speed.
> This would be an even bigger WOW, since it would mean that special
> relativity can actually be breached...
> Stefano Vaj

There is a distinction between the concepts of an invariant speed and that of a
maximum speed. As far as I remember special relativity only requires, for its
consistency, that there be an invariant speed.

Given the SR procedure of clock synchronization, in which light signals are used,
one might think that if FTL signals are possible, they could be used to synchronize
clocks in an alternative way, undermining SR at its foundations. But this is not
the case, I guess.