[ExI] Asteroidal mining was Nukes was less expensive

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 02:33:23 UTC 2011

Keith Henson wrote:

> If you still have the numbers I would be very interested in seeing
> them.  3 GW is up in power satellite scale.

Unfortunately one of the links has died.  I only did a direct
scale up of numbers from an ISS panel as a ballpark figure.
I wanted to use what was already known.

You might look back through Ice_Station to see how the
general concepts evolved and why things were sized
as they were.
Keith Henson wrote:
> Might I suggest the cooling an industrial facility in space by
> evaporating volatiles isn't the best use of volatiles?

I agree but you never know what the economics might be
at some particular time in the future.  In some locations and
situations there may be such an excess of volitiles that
saving them is impractical.

Dennis May