[ExI] Faster than light??

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 24 09:28:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:40:14AM -0700, Dennis May wrote:

> I would not be too concerned about any Earth shattering
> consequences if it were found that neutrinos were found
> to travel slightly faster than the speed of light - or other
> means of signaling faster than light were discovered.

I'd call retrograde signalling in time (which can be
indefinite via a chain of routers) and causality violations
pretty Earth-shattering. It would e.g. allow post-Singularity
entities to reach back in time, which can produce some
pretty dramatic pyrotechnics. If the reshaping of timelines
is iterative, you might not want to talk to even near-term
future.