[ExI] Judging radical possibilities

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 17:30:27 UTC 2011

Bill K wrote:

> Private investment in science doesn't exist. It is a myth used for the
> purposes of argument.

> Private investment is for near-term profit.

> You obviously want to live in a sort of utopia nothing like the world
> we actually live in.

Are you saying science investment must come from money taken
at the point of a gun?  I see it as a problem of investors not putting
money into science because it is difficult to financially compete with
others who are able to extract money as needed at the point of a gun.

Long term investment was common in freer economic times.  Short
term thinking is the result of uncertainty caused by government
interference in private markets.

The world we live in is not as economically free as times when
long term thought and investment produced consistently better
growth rates - and booms in engineering and growth in science.

Dennis May