[ExI] Faster than light??

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 26 06:33:26 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] Faster than light??

>...I'd call retrograde signalling in time (which can be indefinite via a
chain of routers) and causality violations pretty Earth-shattering. It would
e.g. allow post-Singularity entities to reach back in time, which can
produce some pretty dramatic pyrotechnics. If the reshaping of timelines is
iterative, you might not want to talk to even near-term future. Eugen

Ja.  If this is right, then the Singularity could be caused by a future AI
iteratively reaching back in time to cause itself to happen sooner than it
has already.

Or something.

You already know what I am going to say: this FTL neutrino thing must be
wrong.  Special relativity is just too cool to be wrong.

While on a camping trip this weekend, I was thinking about a technical paper
I discovered something I had never noticed before: as a consequence of the
photon momentum equations, the traditional Bradbury MBrain is thermally
unstable.  To keep it in equilibrium, some high frequency light must be
intentionally shed.  Not only can an MBrain move a star, it must do so.
Otherwise it overheats.

More on that after I check these equations about 20 more times.

Then I come home this evening to find that CERN has announced FTL neutrinos.
Oh, life is gooood.