[ExI] The Singularity, Politicians and the Great Debt

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 26 15:54:27 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson

>...It is clear to me that the debt being incurred by the United States can
not be paid off by a natural historical growth curve in the economy... but
that with an event like the Singularity, paying off a $14 trillion dollar
debt would become possible, perhaps even easy... Do you think that our
political leaders are aware of the possibility of the coming Singularity and
are depending upon that to pull our grandchildren out of the mess they have
created? Or do you think they are really just as stupid as they look? -Kelly

Kelly, the California legislature has depended on assumptions every bit as
bold as assuming the Singularity would come along and fix everything.  They
didn't assume that particular outcome, but the assumptions are as optimistic
as that one.