[ExI] Faster than light??

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Sep 27 22:51:53 UTC 2011

Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> The question is how big the revision must be. Depends on which is true:
>
> A - No revision needed, they made more or less stupid error of some
> kind at the meassuring of nevtrinos speed.
>
> B - c is a little higher and photons are a bit slower than c.
> Neutrinos travel with a velocity between those two. Minor revisions,
> something like Anders seems to think.
>
> C - We must go back to the MM experiment and explain its outcome
> differently than Einstein tried to.

D - Relativity remains true, but causality goes out of the window and is
replaced with consistency.

E - Nick's simulation argument is right, and we are all living in a
computer simulation (actually, a variant of C).

Among neutrino physicists belief in A seems to be about as close to 100%
as the neutrinos are to lightspeed - just a sliver of hope. B is
probably not possible since the new definition of the meter and second
fixes it exactly to 299 792 458 meters per second, and the measurement
errors of lengths and timings have gone down (the relative uncertainty
in the *1973* value of c due to Evanson was 3e-9) E is perhaps mostly a
concern for us in the philosophy department, but if you are a
transhumanist you should give it far higher credence than most people.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute