[ExI] Problem with time travel WAS Faster than light??

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 21:42:50 UTC 2011

Jeff Davis wrote:

> My point was/is -- and I state it as a proposition for consideration,
> not as an assertion -- time in bulk, time as history, is a mental
> convention.  Past and future "exist" only as abstractions.  The source
> of all our time-related notions comes from the iterative "reset" of
> the universe from the current "now" state to the next "now" state.
> This sequential reset somehow translates into the "rate of
> progression" which we call time.

The classical physics view is a continuum of states from the past
to the future.  I don't see that you are saying anything different.
Is discrete change versus continuous change what you are interested in?

Scott Aaronson quote:

"For almost a century, quantum mechanics was like
a Kabbalistic secret that God revealed to Bohr, Bohr
revealed to the physicists, and the physicists revealed (clearly) to
no one. So long as the lasers and transistors worked, the rest of us
shrugged at all the talk of complementarity and wave-particle duality,
taking for granted that we'd never understand, or need to understand,
what such things actually meant. But today - largely because of
quantum computing - the Schrodinger's cat is out of the bag, and all
of us are being forced to confront the exponential Beast that lurks
inside our current picture of the world."

I am no fan of Bohr to be certain.  I do not believe a correct
understanding of QM involves the kind of indeterminism or
involvement of mysterious processes Bohr wanted to believe.

Dennis May