[ExI] Feasibility of solid Dyson Sphere WAS mbrains again: request

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:47:35 UTC 2011

Dennis May wrote:
The cost of protecting it will be high because
the investment is concentrated.  I do not believe
it can be hidden [stealth] or move about
[nomadic] so it must exist in fortress mode.
Fortresses can be stable for long periods of
time - until technology renders them
vulnerable.  It would seem a future driven view
would anticipate that technology will move
faster and faster rendering a large fortress
vulnerable before it can even be constructed.

Why could an Mbrain not continually engage in technological progress
to improve it's defenses and keep pace with potential enemies?  I see
the advantages of SND, but it seems to me there are also
disadvantages, such as being so dispersed much of the time that it
does not have the constant huge computational power & mass advantage
of the Mbrain!

Why not a combination of the two concepts, where you have an Mbrain
that in a time of crisis can disperse into much smaller units,
activate stealth mode for all of them, and then flee/fight if
necessary to various points, until it is safe to reassemble and regain
the benefits of Mbrain computational power.

Yes, I coined the term "SND Mbrain!"  ; )  I gotta get this trademarked... lol

I sure miss Robert.  He was my Extropian Godfather, and a good friend.

John