[ExI] More on Neutrinos

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 17:43:38 UTC 2011

On Friday, September 30, 2011 12:31 PM john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net wrote:
> "Good argument that neutrinos travels at speed of light is that while supernova
> they are observed simultaneously with photons."
>
> With the exception of photons particles travel at various speeds depending on
> conditions, I don't know of any reason why all neutrinos should move at the exact
> same speed all the time, but hell I don't even know why neutrinos move at all, nor
> at this point do I think anybody else does either. Physicists will just have to
> continue their experiments and see what happens and wait for a theoretician to
> have a bright idea. If the bright idea turns out that the experiment is just wrong I
> confess I will be a little disappointed.
>
> " remain possibility that neutrinos can be accelerated to larger velocities, but
> EM field quickly decelerates them to speed of EM field propagation (through
> kind of Cherenkov radiation?)"
>
> Cherenkov radiation contains energy, so unless the conservation of energy is
> the next thing to go the neutrino the radiates it will contain less energy, but if it
> has less energy it should be moving faster not slower.

A little context here for the ignorant: how well measured have these quantities been for supernovae in general? How many data points are there? Just want to see how likely this one might be an outlier or observational error -- or even just something mundane missing from the model of surpernovae events.

Regards,

Dan