[ExI] Feasibility of solid Dyson Sphere WAS mbrains again.

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 30 20:18:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9/30/11, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
"My objection to mbrain is the same I had to jupiter brains, speed of
light delays.  The bigger you get, the slower it thinks."
The fastest signals in the human brain move at a couple of hundred meters a second, many are far slower, light moves at 300 million meters per second. So if you insist that the 2 most distant parts of a Jupiter brain communicate as fast as they do in a human brain (and it is not immediately obvious why you should insist on such a thing) then parts could be one million times as distant. The volume of such a brain would be a million trillion times larger than a human brain, and the components would be considerably smaller too.

And of course if the speed of light is not the limit we once thought it to be...., but it's probably too early to get into that.

 John K Clark