[ExI] China to Own the Moon by 2027

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:30:24 UTC 2012

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1959/1

Robert Bigelow, founder of Bigelow Aerospace, believes that China is
secretly preparing, or at least positioning themselves to not only go
to the moon, which is publicly acknowledged by the Chinese, but also
that they will withdraw from the 1967 space treaty (Section 16 allows
them to do so with one year notice) and claim real estate on the moon
through the same centuries old processes that has been used to claim
land here on earth.

Even if they aren't planning on doing so at this point, they are
making moves that will lead them to being able to do so. The
temptation for them to do it eventually may be too great for them to
ignore.

I (Kelly) think that they may use their financial power over the west
to force the issue in a manner similar to the Louisiana Purchase.
Thomas Jefferson took advantage of the screwed up French internal
affairs in the early 1800s, and bought much of the USA for $7 million
dollars. Will the Chinese offer us debt forgiveness in exchange for
the moon? I always figured they would end up with California (somewhat
tongue in cheek) but the moon is a real possibility. Our economic
dependence upon China both for goods and debt service sets the US up
to not being able to stop the Chinese should they attempt to do this.

The potential value of the moon is something close to
$1,000,000,000,000,000 (Quadrillion) according to Bigelow.

The good news, if there is any in this, is that if China claims the
moon, it may prompt us to get off our asses and claim Mars, if we
still have any economic ability remaining at that point. Mars is
likely worth many times the value of the moon. Will we see a replay of
Sputnik kick the American people into action?

I don't remember discussing this here, maybe before I was here... but
it's a big deal that we should consider on this list.

-Kelly