[ExI] Sources of info on historical commodity prices

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Apr 6 21:18:42 UTC 2012

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a good source of historical
prices for a few commodities. I'm particularly interested in figuring out
the real price changes in the five metals involved in the Julian Simon-Paul
Ehlich bet since 1980. Those are copper, tin, nickel, tungsten, and
chromium.

General price inflation since 1980 has been 176.3%. So it's important that
historical price sources state whether the prices are nominal or
inflation-adjusted.

None of the sources I've come across are adequate for this task. Among
those I've tried:
http://www.basemetals.com/

http://metals.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://miner
als.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/metal_prices/

http://www.itri.co.uk/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=att_download&link_id=49605&cf_id=24

http://www.aisgroup.com/Reports/CalyonSpeechSlides041207.pdf  (page 7)

I'm also interested in price changes over longer periods and for other
commodities.

Any suggestions?

--Max

--