[ExI] Life must be everywhere!

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Apr 17 14:03:23 UTC 2012

On 17/04/2012 14:20, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:26:13AM +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
>> Bacteria have been grown under 100,000 Gs. It is not the shock that is
>> the problem. The problem is any temperature above (say) 200 degrees C.
> Nobody remembers this article? I thought we discussed it here.
>
> http://www.sciencemag.org/content/290/5492/791.abstract

Yup. But it might be easier to do a low+temperature launch from Mars
than Earth, due to lack of thick atmosphere and lower gravity. Here we
need K/T impactor size impacts to launch stuff, and they tend to be much
more energetic = heat more material.

An interesting aspect is whether ALH84001 is a fragment of a larger
block that was launched.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute